Thursday, September 1, 2016

Exercise of the Day: What Makes You Happy?

Before you even start, take a second to STOP what you're doing.

STOP.

BREATHE.

Ok?

Now... may I suggest writing "STOP.  BREATHE." on a post-it note and plop it right onto your computer monitor or whatever you see most frequently during your workday.  Stop and breathe often!

Now for the fun part.  You can do this just for yourself, or you can share with this blog by commenting below.  Either way, list TEN things that make you HAPPY.  Don't overthink them.

Then, how many of those things did you experience today?  Is there something on that list that you haven't seen/heard/done in a while?  How can you make it happen?

Take steps to make it happen!  If you don't know how to get started, let me know... I will help you!

I will take a leap and share my 10 things.  They are not in any particular order:

1.  The country: fields, meadows, and fresh air
2.  The city:  interesting things to do all the time
3.  Seeing my handsome husband every day.
4.  Talking to my interesting children and seeing them as adults.
5.  My funny little dog.
6.  Spending time with family.
7.  A really good yoga session.
8.  Taking pride in a job well done.
9.  Doing active things outdoors: hiking, horseback riding, skating, running, etc.
10.When I cook and it comes out good.

What makes you happy?

STOP.  BREATHE.


15 comments:

  1. 1. My Dog
    2. The Ocean
    3. Treasured long time friends like the one that wrote on a post it note when I was working with her she wrote "Breath"
    4. Swimming 3 miles a day
    5. Volunteering at the shelter
    6. Play Hockey
    7 Smell the super fresh clean country/ocean air
    8. Playing stick with Cody
    9. Rollerblading
    10. Running Marathons

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I love us that nothing in your lists costs much money. All are attainable joys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. My health
    2. My family
    3. Nature
    4. Poetry
    5. Writing
    6. Yoga
    7. Lovemaking
    8. Water--ocean, rivers, puddles...
    9. Teaching
    10. Positive people

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teaching! How lucky your students are. A beautiful list. Again, things that do not cost money.

      Delete
  4. 1. The beach
    2. Sleeping
    3 doing things with my kids
    4. Playing tennis
    5 watching tennis
    6 travel in Eurpoe
    7. Being in the woods
    8 shopping
    9 eating really good food
    10 cleaning

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sleeping. Yes. Cleaning... Hmm... You know what, I get that. That sense of accomplishment (or something... I am not being precise with this one!). What is your favorite place in Europe that you've been to?

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. Making people laugh
    2. Laughing
    3. Traveling
    4. Accomplishing goals
    5. Being around friends and family
    6. Spending time at home
    7. Having intellectual conversations
    8. Holidays
    9. Good music
    10. Eating well

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list -- you do make me laugh, so much! Again, 9/10 of your items cost nothing. (Travel can get a little pricey). Try to do at least one of those things every day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. A Netflix binge. (Gilmore Girls times 2)
    2. Almost daily summer conversations with a faraway friend.
    3. The ocean. Looking at it. Not being in it.
    4. Travel. Anywhere.
    5. Satisfaction of finishing a long run.
    6. Baking.
    7. Cooking for a crowd.
    8. Knitting
    9. Being nice and being helpful - even its something small like updating a webpage at work or giving the custodian a cup of tea when she has a cold.
    10. Trying and learning new things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love your list. So funny that you said "not being in it" about the ocean. I love the beach, watching boats go by, etc. but I do not enjoy swimming in waves and I really don't like being on a boat. There is also that looming knowledge that somewhere there is a remote possibility of a tsunami. I also love a good Netflix binge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is Maribeth and sorry I am a day late
    1. spending time with my kids
    2. spending time with my family
    3. My dogs and other people's dogs
    4. Hanging out with my friends
    5.The beach and being in the water
    6. Meeting someone who really makes me belly laugh
    7.reading
    8.planning my daughters shower and wedding
    9. Shopping
    10. facetiming Ruthie at College

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me, it seems like we all enjoy basically the same things. I guess these things are what life is all about.

      Delete
  11. 1. Being with my family
    2. Being with my friends
    3. Travelling (but only for holidays!)
    4. Going back to Naples and to the beach place where I spent my teenage summers
    5. Reading
    6. Walking - especially long walks through town - but not alone
    7. Getting recognition for a job well done
    8. Making the people I love happy
    9. Learning something new
    10. Watching American football games

    ReplyDelete
  12. Meloria, what sparked your interest in football?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very close to my brother when I grew up, and he loved it - it was during the Joe Montana time. When I moved to England I got really hooked on a TV program that showed NFL highlights. Then I met Andre, who liked the sport too. We actually started our relationship during Superbowl XXVI. The rest is history :-)

      Delete